Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lockport in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lockport City Hall

(William K. Moore Co. Mill, Holly Water Works)

 
 
Lockport City Hall Marker (older marker) image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 20, 2014
1. Lockport City Hall Marker (older marker)
Inscription. The city building began as the Pine Street Customs Mill in 1860. It was later (1884) converted to one of the first water pumping stations in America. In 1893, with a need for a permanent location of the city's government, the building was converted into a City Hall.
The trapezoidial shaped building was built of "Lockport" limestone. Few sites in any United States city would be so ideally located where it presides over the locks of the Erie Canal.
The building was entered on the National Register of Historic Places on June 19, 1973.
 
Location. 43° 10.241′ N, 78° 41.561′ W. Marker is in Lockport, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Pine Street 0.1 miles north of Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is affixed to the front right of the building, next to a newer self-standing marker. The building is on the south edge of the Erie Barge Canal above locks 34 & 35. Marker is in this post office area: Lockport NY 14094, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old City Hall (here, next to this marker); Lock Construction (a few steps from this marker); The Great American Canal (a few steps from this marker); Old Locks West
Lockport City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 20, 2014
2. Lockport City Hall Marker
Marker is on the building above the right stairs landing.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Life on the Barges (within shouting distance of this marker); Upper Locks View (within shouting distance of this marker); Electric Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Lock Construction (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockport.
 
More about this marker. The cross street, Main Street, is not NY Route 31. Parallel Walnut Street is NY 31. The marker text implies that the building was being used as City Hall, whereas a modern building on Main Street (Locks Plaza) is now City Hall.
 
Also see . . .  Benjamin C. Moore Mill - Wikipedia. National Register of Historic Places entry. (Submitted on October 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Lockport City Hall - North Side Against the Canal image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 20, 2014
3. Lockport City Hall - North Side Against the Canal
Lockport City Hall - South Side image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, October 20, 2014
4. Lockport City Hall - South Side
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement