Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dresden in Chatham-Kent County, Ontario — Central Canada
 

The Founding of Dresden

 
 
The Founding of Dresden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 12, 2014
1. The Founding of Dresden Marker
Inscription. In 1846 Daniel van Allen, a Chatham merchant, laid out a town plot on land purchased from Jared Lindsley, the first settler (1825) on the site of Dresden. By 1849 the erection of a steam sawmill, and the operation a grist-mill in the neighbouring Dawn Institute Settlement founded by Josiah Henson, provided the basis for a thriving community in this area. A post office named “Dresden” was opened in 1854. The regionís timber resources and the navigation facilities afforded by the Sydenham River fostered industrial growth. A county by-law of 1871 incorporated Dresden as a village with a population of about 750. Ten years later it became a town.
 
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario.
 
Location. 42° 35.417′ N, 82° 10.764′ W. Marker is in Dresden, Ontario, in Chatham-Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and St. George Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 Main Street, Dresden, Ontario N0P, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henson House (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Sawmill
The Founding of Dresden Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 12, 2014
2. The Founding of Dresden Marker
(approx. 1.4 kilometers away); Spirituality and Community (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Harris House (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Josiah Henson (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); The Dawn Settlement (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Burning of British Ships / American Encampment (approx. 17 kilometers away); The Legend of the Paw Paw (approx. 17 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dresden.
 
Also see . . .  Dresden, Ontario - Wikipedia. Hugh Burnett returned to his home town of Dresden, after serving his country in World War II. However, he was not served in some restaurants because he was black. So, in 1948, he and other African Canadians founded the National Unity Association. They collected 115 names on a petition to end discrimination. This resulted in a referendum in Dresden which asked “Do you approve of the council passing a bylaw licensing restaurants in Dresden and restraining the owner or owners from refusing service regardless of race, colour or creed?” 108 voted that restaurant owners should serve everyone. 517 voted
St. George Street, Dresden, Onatrio image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 12, 2014
3. St. George Street, Dresden, Onatrio
against.
Read the rest of the story. (Submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
St. George Street, Dresden, Onatrio image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 12, 2014
4. St. George Street, Dresden, Onatrio
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 31, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement