Bellaire in Belmont County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bellaire High School Clock Tower / Central School Clock Tower and Bell
Bellaire High School Clock Tower
The Bellaire High School Clock Tower was erected in 1925 as the second town clock to be mounted on Bellaire’s public schools. C.W. Bates of Wheeling designed this tower, built by C.D. Keyser & Co. of Bellaire. The school building stretches 256 feet along 35th Street, and the tower rises 40 feet above the 3rd floor parapet of the roof. The clock faces are 6 feet, 7 inches in diameter. At the exterior corners of the bell room are 11 foot columns. The tower dome is painted red. E. Howard & Co. of Boston made the clock works and the McShane Bell Foundry of Baltimore cast the bell in August 1888. The BHS Alumni Association lighted the tower in 1998 to honor all “faithful and true-hearted” graduates of the school.
Central School Clock Tower and Bell
The first clock tower sat atop the old Central School (Union School) built in 1871 which stood at the corner of 35th and Guernsey Streets. Architect J.W. Yost of Bellaire designed the school. It was 85 x 90 feet and had four floors and a mansard roof, above which rose the clock tower. The fourth floor
Erected 2011 by Bellaire High School Alumni Association, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 16-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 1.035′ N, 80° 44.555′ W. Marker is in Bellaire, Ohio, in Belmont County. Marker is at the intersection of 35th Street and Guernsey Street, on the right when traveling east on 35th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellaire OH 43906, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); West Washington Street World War II Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Square and its Uses / The Question of Ownership (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornelius D. Battelle, Methodist Circuit Rider / The First United Methodist Church, Bellaire Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel John H. Sullivan (about 300 feet away); War Memorial (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellaire.
Also see . . . Bellaire Local Schools. (Submitted on November 2, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 2, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 7. submitted on October 6, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.