Mountain Center in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Historic Lake Hemet Dam
Building of the dam itself was not the only engineering feat of its builders. Prior to building the dam a road from Hemet to Garner Valley had to be built so supplies and equipment could be taken to the damsite. In some spots the steep winding road had grades up to 18 percent. The reservoir area had to be cleared of trees and one million board feet of lumber from those trees was used for the construction of buildings, forms for construction, flumes and scaffolding. Much of the dam was comprised of granite stones weighing between 5 and 15 tons each and were quarried from the surrounding bluffs. The thousands of stones used were secured by Portland Cement imported from Belgium.
Reservoir capacity was increased in 1923 when the Lake Hemet Water Company increased the height of the dam by 12.5 feet, raising the dame to its present 135 feet.
Erected 2005 by Platrix Chapter No. 2 and Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069 of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 122.)
Marker series. This marker is E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 33° 40.198′ N, 116° 40.485′ W. Marker is in Mountain Center, California, in Riverside County. Marker is on Pines to Palms Highway (California Route 74), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 56661 Pines to Palms Highway, Mountain Center CA 92561, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kenworthy (approx. 0.8 miles away); Speed-of-Light Experiment (approx. 7.4 miles away); Hamilton School, Anza (approx. 8 miles away); Juan Diego Flats (approx. 9 miles away); McCallum House (approx. 12.8 miles away); San Carlos Pass (approx. 12.8 miles away); Oasis Hotel (approx. 12.9 miles away); Plaza Theatre (approx. 12.9 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 709 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3, 4. submitted on October 18, 2015, by Lou Gonzales of Mountain Center, Californis. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.