Indio in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Dr. June Robertson McCarroll
An encounter with a large truck on a narrow road in 1917 resulted in her Model T abandoning the road for a sandy ditch. This led Dr. June to the idea that a white stripe painted in the center of the road would make automobile travel safer. She personally painted the first known stripe in California on Indio Boulevard, then part of Highway 99, during 1917. A letter writing campaign intitiated by the Indio Women's Club eventually led to adoption of the practice by the California Highway Commission in 1924.
Dr. June also started the first library in the Coachella Valley. She died on March 30, 1954. A nearby portion of the freeway was named in her honor on April 24, 2002.
Erected 2003 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus in cooperation with the City of Indio. (Marker Number 116.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located approximately 250 southeast of the intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: 82921 Indio Boulevard, Indio CA 92203, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Electricity in the Coachella Valley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smiley Place (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1909 Indio Schoolhouse (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Jimmy Swaggart's "Date" (approx. 0.9 miles away); Veterans Remembrance Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Water Trough (approx. 3.7 miles away); Jacqueline Cochran (approx. 6.6 miles away); Indian Wells (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indio.
Regarding Dr. June Robertson McCarroll. When Dr. June moved to Indio, this settlement had already been around since 1876. It had been given the name Indian Wells by the Southern Pacific Company when they built the railroad through to Arizona. At that time there had been a Desert Cahuilla Indian village nearby. The Indian name of the village meant "water found." Deep Indian wells had been known since the 1853 railroad
Also see . . . Handout from the monument dedication in 2003. (Submitted on September 14, 2012, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 1,009 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1. submitted on December 20, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 2. submitted on December 25, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3. submitted on April 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on December 20, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.