Daggett in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The building was an auto repair shop on the National Old Trails Highway until World War II, when it became a mess hall for United States Army troops guarding the local railroad bridges. The Fouts brothers bought the building in 1946 and operated an automotive garage and machine shop in the building until the mid-1980s. The building is currently owned and operated by the Golden Mining and Trucking Company.
Erected 2003 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus and the Daggett Historical Society, Inc. (Marker Number 115.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 34° 51.795′ N, 116° 53.021′ W. Marker is in Daggett Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 35565 Santa Fe Street, Daggett CA 92327, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daggett (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Calico (approx. 6 miles away); Calico Lives Again (approx. 6 miles away); Lucy Bell Lane (approx. 6.1 miles away); Calico’s School House (approx. 6.2 miles away); Forks of the Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); National Old Trails Hwy/Route 66 (approx. 8.2 miles away); The Harvey House (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Daggett.
Regarding Daggett Garage. Daggett was named for Lt. Governor John R. Daggett, owner of the Bismark Mine in the Calico Mountains. The town was a supply point for the desert miners, the Calico area and also was the terminus of the Borate & Daggett Railway. Twenty mule teams were used to haul borax out of the Calico Mountains to the railway at Daggett. By 1907 most of the mines had closed. SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 800 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3, 4. submitted on December 25, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 5. submitted on May 8, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.