Chuckwalla in Riverside County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
behind the well
1854 - 1935
Erected 1977 by Billy Holcomb Chapter No. 1069, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 87.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 33° 37.108′ N, 115° 55.079′ W. Marker is in Chuckwalla, California, in Riverside County. Marker is on Box Canyon Road, on the right. Touch for map. The marker is near the middle of the turnout on the west side of the road. Marker is in this post office area: Mecca CA 92254, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Salton Sea (approx. 7.9 miles away); Young Divisional Camp (approx. 8.2 miles away); Barren or Bountiful (approx. 9.1 miles away); Where Are The Joshua Trees? (approx. 10.5 miles away); Desert Training Center (approx. 11.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Desert Training Center (approx. 11.6 miles away); a different marker also named Desert Training Center (approx. 11.6 miles away); California-Arizona Maneuver Area (approx. 11.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Imported tamarisk trees
Regarding Shaver's Well. John Shaver was a member of the Riverside County Board of Supervisors for over 40 years and hired John McGrath to dig this first county-financed well in October 1897. It supplied water for travelers between Indio and Palm Springs, Mecca to Blythe and the Mecca to Dale Roads. Although McGrath had the contract to dig the well it is said to have been dug by Henry Hartman, a prospector. The site of the well at the north of the turnout, near the highway may be hidden by the spreading growth of the tamarisk trees.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
1. Chiriaco Summit
The Bradshaw Road was a passage between the Colorado River and the Coachella Valley. Only two unconnected, unpaved pieces of the road remain. Three sites along the road have been marked by plaques erected by E Clampus Vitus. The first is located nine miles west of Blythe at Wiley Well, named for the storekeeper and postmaster A. P. Wiley. A second plaque is placed at Shaver's Well on Box Canyon Road and the third at Chiriaco Summit.
— Submitted December 29, 2011.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 984 times since then and 108 times this year. Last updated on November 3, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 17, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 5. submitted on January 29, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.