Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Allegheny City

Three Rivers Heritage Trail

 
 
Allegheny City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 3, 2014
1. Allegheny City Marker
Inscription. In the early 1700s, the Allegheny River formed a boundary: lands claimed by European nations were to the east, and lands claimed by Native Americans were to the west.

Near this site in 1783, James Robinson, the first permanent European settler on this side of the river, built a log house and a ferry boat landing. Four years later, a new town called Allegheny was laid out as an Engilsh village with a town square surrounded by a commons. After the Pennsylvania Canal from Philadelphia was built through the town in 1829, Allegheny evolved from an agricultural village to a thriving industrial city. Red brick cotton mills, an iron works, and other factories lined the riverfront.

After the Civil War, the citizens of Allegheny transformed their village commons into a beautiful, landscaped park system. While Pittsburgh was the "Smoky City," Allegheny was the "City of Parks" with over 100 acres of parklands. The Allegheny Commons became one of the first public parks west of the Allegheny Mountains. Designed in 1869, the park continues to exhibit a beautiful urban landscape design.

Pittsburgh and Allegheny City were twin cities until 1907 when Pittsburgh became the nation's eighth largest city by annexing Allegheny.
 
Erected by Pennsylvania DCNR, Steel Industry Heritage
Allegheny City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 3, 2014
2. Allegheny City Marker
lower left photo
In the 1890s, Civil War veterans marched through this arch across Federal Street
Corporation, City of Pittsburgh, Koppers.
 
Location. 40° 26.819′ N, 80° 0.17′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from North Shore Trail. Touch for map. Located on Pittsburgh's North Shore Trail on the North Side. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15212, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Allegheny Cotton Mill Strikes (a few steps from this marker); Frederick J Osterling Office & Studio (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Timber Court (about 700 feet away); Seventh Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roberto Clemente Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Three Sisters Bridges (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ninth Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Visit of Abraham Lincoln (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
Also see . . .  Allegheny City Society. (Submitted on November 3, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
Allegheny City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 3, 2014
3. Allegheny City Marker
upper left photo
Lake Elizabeth was a focal point for Allegheny Park
Allegheny City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, November 3, 2014
4. Allegheny City Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement