West Columbia in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Home of George B. McKinstry
1802 - 1837
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 9575.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 9.334′ N, 95° 39.223′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from Oil Field Road (County Route 467) half a mile east of Texas Highway 36W, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The State of Texas erroneously gives the location as being off CR 457. Marker is in this post office area: West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Columbia - The First Capital of The Republic of Texas (approx. 0.8 miles away); Columbia (approx. one mile away); Columbia Rosenwald School (approx. one mile away); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Near Site of First Capitol of the Republic of Texas Columbia United Methodist Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Columbia Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); W. H. Abrams Well No. 1 (approx. 1.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Columbia.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 544 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.