Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
After purchasing this land January 1, 1866, Georgetown Colored Academy built a school here. By 1908 the old building had been torn down and a new school built, its name changed to Howard. The elementary department moved into a new structure on Kaminski Street in 1938; the high school followed in 1949. After the 1984 graduation, predominantly black Howard merged with mostly white Winyah School to form Georgetown High School.
Erected 1986 by Georgetown Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta. (Marker Number 22-21.)
Location. 33° 22.305′ N, 79° 16.971′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is at the intersection of Duke Street and King Street, on the left when traveling east on Duke Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Olive Baptist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bethesda Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Methodists (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bethel Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Beth Elohim Cemetery (approx. First Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rainey-Camlin House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Winyah Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); Joseph Hayne Rainey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prince George Winyah Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Categories. • African Americans • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,023 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2017, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the school • Can you help?