Atlas in Pike County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This section, settled in 1820, by Ebenezer Franklin, Daniel Shinn and the four Ross brothers, was known as Ross Settlement until 1823 when it was named Atlas. Pursuant to an act passed by the Illinois Legislature, in session, at Vandalia, in 1822, Atlas was selected as the site of the first permanent seat of justice in Pike County, which at the time included all of Illinois North of the Illinois and Kankakee Rivers. The site on section 27 was deeded to the county by Wm. Ross and Rufus Brown. The county seat was moved to Pittsfield in 1833.
Erected 1935 by Nancy Ross Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 39° 30.799′ N, 90° 58.169′ W. Marker is in Atlas, Illinois, in Pike County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 54 and Illinois Route 96, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 54. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport IL 62370, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oldest Building in Pike County (here, Welcome to Illinois (approx. 3.2 miles away); Civil War Monument (approx. 3½ miles away); Louisiana (approx. 8.2 miles away in Missouri); Reuben Scanland House (approx. 10.7 miles away); Pike County's Lincoln (approx. 10.9 miles away); Lincoln's Pike County (approx. 10.9 miles away); Commemorating (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlas.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 5, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 5, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.