Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mitchellville in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Edlavitch-Harmel House

The Mitchellville Storekeeper's House

 
 
Edlavitch-Harmel House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
1. Edlavitch-Harmel House Marker
Inscription. Mitchellville centered around a post office in 1865 that took its name from John Mitchell (1787-1861), owner of substantial holdings. The village grew when the Pope's Creek line of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad opened in 1873. A general store operated by Samuel Domer was here by the 1870s, around which developed a community with a stable, garage and gas pump, office, bar, poolroom, barber shop, a feed mill, post office, blacksmith, school and Hotel.

The Edlavitch family, Russian Jews who immigrated to the area in 1888, purchased the store in 1895, and built this house in 1908. Joseph F. Montgomery, who ran the store from 1925 to 1943, was one of the first African American Businessmen in the area. The last owners were the Harmel family. The store burned in 1985.

The City of Bowie purchased the property in 1992. It now serves as part of the City of Bowie Museums System.
 
Location. 38° 55.552′ N, 76° 43.99′ W. Marker is in Mitchellville, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Mount Oak Road and Mitchellville Road when traveling west on Mount Oak Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2608 Mitchellville Road, Bowie MD 20716, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of
Edlavitch-Harmel House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
2. Edlavitch-Harmel House Marker
this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blacksox Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hall Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); Melford and Cemetery (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Belair Stud Farm (approx. 2.8 miles away); Belair Stable (approx. 2.9 miles away); Belair (approx. 2.9 miles away); Belair on the Home Front (approx. 2.9 miles away); Belair Mansion (approx. 3.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Edlavitch-Harmel House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
3. Edlavitch-Harmel House Marker
Edlavitch-Harmel House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
4. Edlavitch-Harmel House
Edlavitch-Harmel House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
5. Edlavitch-Harmel House
Mitchellville Store image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
6. Mitchellville Store
From a display in the Radio & Television Museum.
Mitchellville Post Office<br>Event Cover image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
7. Mitchellville Post Office
Event Cover
July 20, 1865 to July 2005, 140th Anniversary Mitchellville Post Office Station, Bowie Maryland, 20716-1564. Established 1865; Second Postmaster: George Augustus Mitchell; Location: corner of Mitchellville & Mt. Oak Roads. Destroyed by fire in 1985.
From a display in the Radio & Television Museum
National Capital Radio and Television Museum image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
8. National Capital Radio and Television Museum
In the Edlavitch-Harmel House
His Master's Voice image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
9. His Master's Voice
In the Window of the Radio & Television Museum
<i>Radio and the Bowie Connection</i><br>Why a museum about radio in Bowie, Maryland? image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 8, 2014
10. Radio and the Bowie Connection
Why a museum about radio in Bowie, Maryland?

Mrs. William Woodward, wife of the last private owner of Belair Estate on which most of modern Bowie was built after 1957, had a brief career in radio broadcasting before her marriage in 1943.

Anne Eden began a radio career as a contestant in a daytime game show, True or False. In 1941 she landed a daily role on a soap opera, Joyce Jordan, Girl Intern, followed by a big break in Lincoln Highway with Ethel Barrymore on NBC. Additional parts included Bright Horizon on CBS, and Aunt Jenny's Real Life Stories, and Portia Faces Life on NBC.

She was proclaimed "the most beautiful girl in radio" in 1941.
From a display in the Radio and Television Museum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 9, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement