Duluth in Saint Louis County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Rotary Club of Duluth 100th Anniversary
The first Rotary Club was formed in Chicago in 1905 by a young attorney named Paul Harris who desired to discuss areas of common concern with other local business executives. They quickly decided to contribute their talents and resources to serve others.
Rotary established its motto to be:
Service Above Self
The Rotary Club of Duluth was chartered in 1911 as Rotary's 25th club.
Rotary Club of Duluth hosted the National Rotary Convention in 1912. At that convention Rotary became international when members of the Winnipeg Rotary Club attended the meetings.
Rotary International initiated a program to eradicate Polio worldwide in 1985 and the project is near 99 percent complete.
Membership has grown to 1.2 million Rotarians in over 32,000 clubs located in 200 countries.
This dramatic lighting, first seen on June 3, 2011 - the 100th Anniversary of the
Rotary Club of Duluth, Club No. 25
- was made possible by a gift from
The lighting of this tower symbolizes the warm welcome extended by Duluth citizens to visitors from around the world and was provided in honor of the Rotary Club of Duluth's first 100 years of Service to the Community and the World.
The project was coordinated with the City of Duluth.
Erected by Rotary Club of Duluth and City of Duluth.
Location. 46° 46.574′ N, 92° 7.489′ W. Marker is in Duluth, Minnesota, in Saint Louis County. Touch for map. Markers are on the light poles surrounding Enger Park Tower, accessed off Hank Jensen Drive and the Skyline Parkway. Marker is in this post office area: Duluth MN 55806, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Enger Observation Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Japanese Peace Bell Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Duluth Japanese Peace Bell Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohara Peace Bell (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rice's Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); Duluth–Superior Harbor Priley Fountain / Duluth Civic Center (approx. one mile away); Albert Woolson (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duluth.
Also see . . .
1. Rotary Club of Duluth. (Submitted on November 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Enger Tower and Enger Park Gardens. (Submitted on November 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 9, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos and transcriptions of the other Rotary markers on the light poles surrounding Enger Tower • Can you help?