Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hamlin in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Boyd Chapel Community

 
 
Boyd Chapel Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 6, 2014
1. Boyd Chapel Community Marker
Inscription. Settlements began to develop in Jones County by the mid-1800s, first around the abandoned Fort Phantom Hill site and then around ranches founded in the 1880s and farms established shortly thereafter. At this site in 1895, Reese Davis, Joe Swent and Alex Boyd built the Boyd School. The community that developed nearby came to be known as Boyd Chapel.
     Over the next decades, Boyd Chapel was shaped by early area landowners. These included Guy Arthur Hillier, a New York native who herded sheep from south Texas to this area, where he met and married Minnie Estes. Alexander Brown Young and his wife came to this area in 1897 from east Texas. They settled in the Boyd Chapel community with five sons, including their oldest, Thomas O. Young, who had a wife and family of his own. The Young family deeded land for Methodist and Baptist churches, and a tabernacle, school and teacherage. Judge L. Crow and his wife Dora built a unique house on a rise, using concrete, as well as stone gathered from around the U.S.; they cultivated an orchard and berry fields. In 1916, Raymond Young built a general store and gas station, the only one in Boyd Chapel. As the farming community grew, cotton became its primary crop.
     As in much of rural Texas, World War II greatly impacted the community’s population, with young adults serving in the armed forces
Boyd Chapel Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 6, 2014
2. Boyd Chapel Community Marker
View to north
or finding work in urban centers in support of the war. In 1947, the school consolidated into the Anson school district. Today, only burials in the nearby Neinda Cemetery link the present agricultural fields to the community known as Boyd Chapel.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13406.)
 
Location. 32° 45.488′ N, 100° 5.053′ W. Marker is near Hamlin, Texas, in Jones County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 180 and Farm to Market Road 126, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 180. Touch for map. Marker is located at northeast corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Hamlin TX 79520, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Neinda Community (approx. 2.8 miles away); Neinda Baptist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Adair - Steadman Site (approx. 6.4 miles away); Woods Chapel Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); Hamlin (approx. 8.9 miles away); First Presbyterian Church Building (approx. 10.8 miles away); Anson Opera House (approx. 10.9 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 10.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamlin.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
View to East Along US 180 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 6, 2014
3. View to East Along US 180
View to West Towards Intersection<br>of US 180 and FM 126 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 6, 2014
4. View to West Towards Intersection
of US 180 and FM 126
Abandoned Home 1/4 Mile East of Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, November 6, 2014
5. Abandoned Home 1/4 Mile East of Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 10, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 262 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 10, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement