Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonboro in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bethel Presbyterian Church

 
 
Bethel Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
1. Bethel Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Founded on this site in 1728 by the Reverend Archibald Stobo, Bethel or Pon Pon Church served a large Presbyterian congregation until replaced by Bethel Presbyterian Church in nearby town of Walterboro early in the nineteenth century. The original bell was moved to the new church in Walterboro. The old building burned in 1886.
 
Erected 1964 by Colleton County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-8.)
 
Location. 32° 47.929′ N, 80° 29.748′ W. Marker is in Jacksonboro, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is on Charleston Hwy (State Highway 64), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonboro SC 29452, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Burial Site of Captain John Herbert Dent (here, next to this marker); Battle Of Parker's Ferry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pon Pon Chapel (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Pon Pon Chapel (approx. 0.8 miles away); Ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease (approx. 0.8 miles away); Colonel Issac Hayne
Bethel Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 2008
2. Bethel Presbyterian Church Marker
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Martyr Of The Revolution / Hayne Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fateful Choices - The Hanging Of Isaac Hayne (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonboro.
 
More about this marker. Marker is 12 miles East of Walterboro
 
Regarding Bethel Presbyterian Church. Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery remains today the site of the church organized 1728 by Rev. Archibald Stobo, the father of the Presbyterian Church in South Carolina. Until the Revolution, all ministers of Bethel came from Scotland. The first building was called the "Meeting House" and lasted until 1746 when a handsome church was erected. Eleven thousand handmade bricks made up the foundation of the forty-foot square building. This colonial church was destroyed by a forest fire in 1886. Buried here is Commander John Herbert Dent, acting commanding officer of the USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides."
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The Bethel Presbyterian Church in Walterboro.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Bethel Presbyterian Church Marker, Cemetery gate image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Bethel Presbyterian Church Marker, Cemetery gate
View is looking South on SC 64.
Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery, grave site of a noted former Captain of USS <i>Constitition image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 2005
4. Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery, grave site of a noted former Captain of USS Constitition
Cemetery view image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
5. Cemetery view
John Herbert Dent's grave marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, May 2008
6. John Herbert Dent's grave marker
Captain of USS Constituton, in 1804 during the war with Tripoli.
Bell, as mentioned on Marker, Found at present church in Walterboro image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 6, 2008
7. Bell, as mentioned on Marker, Found at present church in Walterboro
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,869 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement