Concord in Jackson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church
After migrating from the East, primarily New York State, thirteen families brought their faith to Concord and formed a Universalist Society in 1854. Society members erected this building in 1866 and formally reorganized as a church in 1870. Early members supported the activities and needs of the congregation by paying annual pew rentals. They included many of Concord's most prominent early civic leaders, merchants and farmers.
First Universalist Church
This Gothic Revival church was built in 1866 according to plans submitted by James and Russell Hungerford and James Dodge, members of the congregation. Box pews and a two aisle-floor plan reflect the New England origins of the church's design. In 1997 the building was deeded to the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation. The church is located within the Concord National Register Historic District.
Erected 1999 by Michigan Historical Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L2068.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 10.689′ N, 84° 38.614′ W. Marker is in Concord Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 Hanover Street, Concord MI 49237, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paddock-Hubbard House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Huron Potawatomi Village / Spring Arbor (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ed Cross Farm (approx. 4.8 miles away); Spring Arbor College (approx. 4.9 miles away); Michigan Central College Residence Hall (approx. 4.9 miles away); Wellman General Store (approx. 6.6 miles away); Birthplace of Famed Song (approx. 6.9 miles away); Birthplace of "Old Rugged Cross" (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 213 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 14, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.