Concord in Jackson County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1843 New York natives Alfred and Ruth Paddock migrated to Concord Township. Within two years they erected this Greek Revival house, reminiscent of those in their home state. A prominent merchant, Alfred Paddock (1805-1870) owned and operated one of Concord's first flour mills. He served as township supervisor from 1844 to 1849 and in the Michigan State Senate from 1853 to 1854. In 1854 the Paddocks hosted Concord's first meeting of the Universalist Society in this house.
In February 1897 Truman and Cora Hubbard rented this house from the Paddock family, and eventually purchased the property in 1902. Truman Hubbard served on the Concord village council from 1918 to 1933. In 1953 his farm east of Concord was the site of the first producing oil well in Jackson County. In 1986 the Hubbard's daughter Marion McFarlane (1909-1991) founded the Hubbard Memorial Museum Foundation so that her family's home would become a museum following her death.
Erected 1994 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1842.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 10.677′ N, 84° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 317 Hanover Street, Concord MI 49237, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Huron Potawatomi Village / Spring Arbor (approx. 3½ miles away); Ed Cross Farm (approx. 4.8 miles away); Spring Arbor College (approx. 4.9 miles away); Michigan Central College Residence Hall (approx. 4.9 miles away); Wellman General Store (approx. 6½ miles away); Birthplace of Famed Song (approx. 6.9 miles away); Birthplace of "Old Rugged Cross" (approx. 7 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.