Near Omaha in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Erected 1927 by Nebraska Society U.S. Daughters of 1812.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United States Daughters of 1812 marker series.
Location. 41° 22.401′ N, 95° 57.217′ W. Marker is near Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of John J Pershing Dr and Hummel Rd, on the left when traveling north on John J Pershing Dr. Touch for map. Marker is located at the entrance to Hummel Park and co-located with John Pierre Cabanne's. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68112, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Pierrre Cabanne's (here, next to this marker); Lewis and Clark Campsite (approx. one mile away); The Road to Zion (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Florence Mill (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named The Florence Mill (approx. 2.1 The Mormon Pioneer Trail (approx. 2.2 miles away); A Meeting House for the Saints (approx. 2.2 miles away); From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
More about this marker. The marker had been in disrepair for many years and was recently rebuilt by the United States Daughters of 1812 in Nebraska in collaboration with the Daughters of the American Revolution who placed the Pierre Cabanne marker on the other side. Both markers were rededicated in a ceremony held October 11, 2008.
Regarding Fort Lisa. There was more than one Fort Lisa; this was the first of two.
Also see . . . Fort Lisa. From NEGenWeb Project. This site contains an expanded history of Fort Lisa including a photo of the site from 1902. (Submitted on August 9, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 24, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 2,669 times since then and 168 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 24, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Michael James of Fort Calhoun, Nebraska. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?