Laurel in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First United Methodist Church of Laurel
City of Laurel Walking Tour
Methodists, who organized as a congregation in Laurel in 1840, established the First Church in Laurel in 1842. They occupied two other locations before this edifice was built in 1884. It was enlarged in 1909, 1950, 1962, and 2001. The church lost its original wooden steeple in 1977 due to deterioration. On August 16, 1979, a new steeple was hoisted and continues to serve as a beacon on main street.
Location. 39° 6.389′ N, 76° 50.97′ W. Marker is in Laurel, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Main Street when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 424 Main St, Laurel MD 20707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. An Angel Among US (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Philip's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Laurel's Civil War Hospital (approx. 0.2 miles away); A “Little Dam” Powers the Avondale Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Patuxent River (approx. 0.2 miles away); Avondale Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Avondale Mill: A Lost Treasure (approx. 0.2 miles away); Riverfront Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Laurel.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 241 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.