Anson in Jones County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Jones County Courthouse
The first permanent courthouse was a small frame building, which served until the county purchased a hotel in 1884 for use as a courthouse. An 1886 brick courthouse served the county for the next 24 years.
In late 1909, the Jones County Commissioners Court, led by County Judge J.R. Stinson, determined that the growth of the county called for a larger courthouse. They selected Elmer G. Withers of Stamford (15 mi. n) and the Texas Building Company of Fort Worth as architect and contractor, respectively. Completed in 1910, the Jones County courthouse is an excellent example of Beaux Arts styling, with influences from the Arts and Crafts Movement found in the decorative painting uncovered during a 1990s rehabilitation on the ceiling of the district courtroom. Other notable features include the statue of Lady Justice atop the domed clock tower and the pedimented porticoes with flanking pairs of ionic columns on each facade.
Constructed of brick and Pecos Red Sandstone, the Jones
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12415.)
Location. 32° 45.373′ N, 99° 53.816′ W. Marker is in Anson, Texas, in Jones County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Court Plaza (U.S. 83/277) and 12th Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the lawn near the front (south) entrance of the Jones County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Anson TX 79501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jones County (here, next to this marker); Anson Jones (a few steps from this marker); Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (a few steps from this marker); Omar Burleson (within shouting distance of this marker); Anson Opera House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church Building (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Anson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cowboys' Christmas Ball (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anson.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on November 17, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.