Dearborn in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Thomas Edisonís Menlo Park Oﬃce and Library
Thomas Edison needed people with a variety of talents to keep his “invention factory” running.
Thomas Edisonís office staff on the first floor of this building took care of business issues such as accounting and correspondence. They worked alongside employees who dealt with all the reporters who visited. Others created drawings for Edisonís patents. Edison and his personal secretary kept an office in the research library on the second floor.
Built in 1929 in Greenfield Village, Replica of original office and library.
Erected by The Henry Ford.
Location. 42° 18.307′ N, 83° 13.567′ W. Marker is in Dearborn, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on Christie Street near Post Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dearborn MI 48124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sir John Bennett Jewelry Shop (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edison Homestead (about 600 feet away); Wright Cycle Shop Noah Webster Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Armington & Sims Machine Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hanks Silk Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith Creek Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Millpond (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dearborn.
More about this marker. This marker and the building it identifies are found in Greenfield Village, a outdoor historical museum/park, located at 20900 Oakwood Boulevard in Dearborn, Michigan. The road names use on this page are those found inside Greenfield Village and are for pedestrians use only (except for the occasional Model T running around).
Also see . . . Thomas Edison and Menlo Park - Thomas Edison Center. Menlo Park was one of the six neighborhoods that formed Raritan Township. It was a very sparsely populated rural area and the site of a failed residential development in the early 1870s. Edison purchased two parcels of land measuring approximately 34 acres from the family of William Carman who was one of his employees at Newark, in late 1875. (Submitted on November 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Additional keywords. invention
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 299 times since then. Last updated on November 18, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 11, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.