Newton in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Baptist Collegiate Institute
Organized in 1898 under the Christian leadership of A. W. Tate and Newton Baptist Church. The property was later given to the Baptists of southeast Alabama, adopted by nine Baptist Associations. In 1907 Baptist State Convention agreed to accept the school as a gift and received the deed in 1908. Financial support by the Convention began in 1912. It operated as a high school and junior college from 1921 - 1929 when it closed due to lack of funds.
Presidents serving from 1917 - 1929 were: J. J. Yarborough, L. F. Rutledge, W. G. Johnston, J. A. Lowry, A. C. Anderson, R. W. Langham, C. V. Cheves, P. W. Lett, and C. H. Turner.
Its students brought its Christian influence into all walks of life.
Sponsor — Dale County Historical Society
Erected by Former Students.
Location. 31° 19.856′ N, 85° 35.764′ W. Marker is in Newton, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is on Oates Drive east of College Street (Alabama Route 123/134), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the Oates-Reynolds Memorial Building. Marker is in this post office area: Newton AL 36352, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the Newton (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Block House/River Port - Fort - Ferry (approx. 2.8 miles away); Daleville, Alabama (approx. 7.7 miles away); Boyhood Home of Rev. Bob Jones (approx. 8.7 miles away); Early Ozark/Ozark's Role in the Origin of Fort Rucker (approx. 9.2 miles away); Confederate Memorial (approx. 9.2 miles away); Merrick's - Woodshop - Ozark / Ozark (approx. 9.2 miles away); Dowling - Steagall House (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.