Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fraser Mansion

Built 1890

 
 
Fraser Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
1. Fraser Mansion Marker
Inscription.
This Property is listed in
The National Register
of Historic Places

As a National Landmark for its
Architectural and Cultural contributions
To the District of Columbia

 
Location. 38° 54.767′ N, 77° 2.682′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 20th Street and R Street. Touch for map. Very near the intersection of R Street and Connecticut Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1701 20th Street North West, Washington DC 20009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Connecticut Ave. from Lafayette Square to Ashmead Place (a few steps from this marker); From 1890 to 1910 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carl Lutz (about 700 feet away); General Manuel Belgrano (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mahatma Gandhi Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Development in the neighborhood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dewi Saraswati (approx. 0.2 miles away); Woman's National Democratic Club (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
 
Regarding Fraser Mansion. Although this Beaux Arts house is rumored to have been built for "Thomas
Fraser Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
2. Fraser Mansion Marker
Alexander Scott, Assistant Secretary of War under President Abraham Lincoln, president of the Pennsylvania Railroad, and a major figure in the politics of the Reconstruction era", it was actually built by Joseph C. Hornblower and James Rush Marshall for New York merchant George S. Fraser in 1890. It was purchased in 1901 by Scott's daughter, Miriam Scott Thropp. By 1932 it was a tearoom; by 1950 it was a restaurant. It has been the Golden Parrot Restaurant and Cocktail lounge, The Golden Booeymonger and now the Church of Scientology National Affairs Office.
 
Also see . . .
1. Scenes from the Past: The George S. Fraser mansion, 1701 20th Street, NW. Kelsey and Associates, Inc. October 2008. (Submitted on November 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

2. The Golden Parrot Restaurant,. (PDF) National Register Form. (Submitted on November 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

3. Church of Scientology Opens National Office in D.C. Landmark. Scientology, September 12, 2012. (Submitted on November 19, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Fraser Mansion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
3. Fraser Mansion Marker
Fraser Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
4. Fraser Mansion
Fraser Mansion<br>Church of Scientology image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 19, 2014
5. Fraser Mansion
Church of Scientology
Exterior For Hornblower & Marshall image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress
6. Exterior For Hornblower & Marshall
The Golden Parrot Restaurant image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress
7. The Golden Parrot Restaurant
May 1968
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 19, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement