Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Bernardino in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Arrowhead Plaza

 
 
Arrowhead Plaza Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 29, 2011
1. Arrowhead Plaza Marker
Inscription. Rancho Agua Caliente by 1820 was established by Mission San Gabriel authorities in this area to supply water and grass for mission cattle.

Jose Del Carmen Lugo, Jose Maria Lugo and Vicente Lugo acquired the mission lands in 1823 and built a small adobe house as headquarters for their rancho.

After the Mormon colonists purchased San Bernardino Rancho from the Lugo family, they built a stockade at this site in 1851. A Council House inside the stockade in 1852 served as the colony office, meeting hall, post office, school and church. This Council House served as the first courthouse after the formation of the County of San Bernardino.

In this area, pioneers such as Amasa Lyman, Andrew Lytle, Dr. Oliver Wozencraft, George A. Atwood and Jefferson Hunt built homes. In the 1870's, B.J. Mathews constructed a mill, powered by water from town creek now channeled under this area, to reduce grain to flour for the pioneer families.

During the 1880's, many Chinese residents occupied the area as merchants and as workers in the mining, railroad, construction and farming activities of San Bernardino County.

Historically, this land has served its citizens well. The foundation of the government center is firmly set in its past, drawing strength from those numerous citizens, businesses and community
Board of Supervisors Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 29, 2011
2. Board of Supervisors Marker
agencies as it builds upward to serve its citizens of the future.

[Board of Supervisors Marker]
The county was formed in April, 1853 and governed by a board of commissioners until April, 1855. The county included the townships of San Bernardino, San Salvdor and Chino. The first Board of Supervisors was elected in April, 1855 and was composed of three supervisors representing these three districts. In January, 1880, the state authorized a five-member Board of Supervisors with one being elected from District I, one from District II and three form District III. In August, 1884, five supervisorial districts were authorized and crearted. Five supervisors began service to San Bernardino County from the five districts in January, 1885. The five districts have continued since that time with periodic modifications of their boundaries to maintain equal representation by population and to reflect detachment of areas to form parts of Riverside County.

Chariman of the Board
 
Location. 34° 6.366′ N, 117° 17.376′ W. Marker is in San Bernardino, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on North Arrowhead Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 385 North Arrowhead Avenue, San Bernardino CA 92401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Arrowhead Plaza image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 29, 2011
3. Arrowhead Plaza
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. To Jedediah Smith (here, next to this marker); Charles C Rich / Amasa M Lyman (within shouting distance of this marker); Settlement of San Bernardino (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); The Council House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Mormon Stockade (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Benson (approx. 3.1 miles away); Historic Cannon (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Arrowhead Landmark (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Bernardino.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Arrowhead Plaza image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 29, 2011
4. Arrowhead Plaza
Atwood Adobe Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, January 29, 2011
5. Atwood Adobe Site Marker
Historic Site
Atwood Adobe Site
Built in 1850's
Remodeled 188 by G.A. Atwood in 1975
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 20, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement