Garfield in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Haynie Chapel Methodist Church
Plaque erected by Houston descendants, Mr. & Mrs. E.W. (Nellie Houston) Schuhmann. History given by Rev. Olin W. Nail, Present Pastor.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14127.)
Location. 30° 11.36′ N, 97° 33.599′ W. Marker is in Garfield, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Greenwood Drive and Houston Road, on the right when traveling east on Greenwood Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16415 Greenwood Drive, Del Valle TX 78617, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Webberville Ebenezer Baptist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Webberville (approx. 3.7 miles Joseph J. Manor Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); David Crawford Edmiston (approx. 5.1 miles away); James Euwin Edmiston (approx. 5.1 miles away); George Self (approx. 5.1 miles away); Reuben Hornsby (approx. 5.4 miles away); Josephus Hornsby (approx. 5.9 miles away).
More about this marker. The church is located in Garfield, Texas. According to the Handbook of Texas Online, the post office was closed in 1902, and mail directed to Del Valle, hence the church's address.
Also see . . . Garfield, Texas. Handbook of Texas Online article about Garfield where the church is located. (Submitted on November 20, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
1. Town of Comanche, Travis County
This general area where the church is located dates back to the Mexican period in Texas. In 1830 John Caldwell settled on a large grant of land that was made to Jose Antonio Navarro in 1833 by the Mexican Government. According to "History of Travis County and Austin, 1839-1899", the original church was on this
— Submitted November 21, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 20, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 394 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 20, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.