Castroville in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Louis Day
Through the years a picnic became traditional on the church grounds following High Mass. Before the festivities, men smoked sausage and pit-barbecued beef. Women prepared potato salad, cabbage slaw, and desserts. An evening dance in a local establishment ended the day-long celebration.
The St. Louis Society, founded in 1875, traditionally organized the event. Since 1889 the celebration has raised funds for the benefit of the Parish church and school. After the 1920s, the picnic and dance were held at Wernette's Garden. That site (4 blocks NNW) was donated to the parish and renamed Koenig Park in 1949. The dance pavilion there was erected in 1953.
The celebration is now held annually on the Sunday nearest August 25. The procession begins at the church after Mass, and winds through the city to Koenig Park for the picnic lunch and evening dance.
Location. 29° 21.355′ N, 98° 52.757′ W. Marker is in Castroville, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of Angelo Street and Paris Street, on the left when traveling north on Angelo Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Madrid Street, Castroville TX 78009, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alsatians of Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Lytle (approx. 9.2 miles away); Town of Quihi (approx. 9.2 miles away); Atascosa Lodge No. 379, A.F. and A.M. (approx. 9½ miles away); Lytle Methodist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); Benton City Cemetery (approx. 11.9 miles away); Old Rock Baptist Church (approx. 16.6 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 271 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 22, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.