Near Union in Boone County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Lewis and Clark in Kentucky
Big Bone Lick
In Oct. 1803, while traveling down Ohio River to meet Wm. Clark for expedition to Pacific, Meriwether Lewis visited Big Bone Lick. He was to gather fossilized bones for Pres. Thomas Jefferson. In Sept. 1807, Clark supervised a 3-week dig for bones at Jefferson’s request.
Erected 2003 by Kentucky Historical Society Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2124.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society, and the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 38° 53.341′ N, 84° 44.856′ W. Marker is near Union, Kentucky, in Boone County. Marker is on Beaver Road (Kentucky Route 338) west of Route 127, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Entrance to Big Bone State Park is about two miles west of US 127 on St Rt 338. The marker is located in the parking lot of the museum, second driveway to right, off main park road (first driveway to right leads to the picnic area, where there are two more related markers). Marker is at or near this postal address: 3325 Beaver Rd, Union KY 41091, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Big Bone Lick (here, next to this marker); Mary Draper Ingles Mary Ingles (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Big Bone Lick (approx. 0.2 miles away); Big Bone Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Elwood Mead (approx. 5˝ miles away in Indiana); Piatt’s Landing / General E.R.S. Canby (approx. 6.3 miles away); Rabbit Hash (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union.
Categories. • Exploration • Paleontology • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 22, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.