Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lindsey Springs Logging Camp

 
 
Lindsey Springs Logging Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, October 30, 2008
1. Lindsey Springs Logging Camp Marker
Inscription. The naturally occurring Lindsey Springs, located approximately 3/4 of a mile northeast of this location, became the site in 1899 of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's first logging camp. The springs provided an important water source for this vital camp, which by 1900 included company housing for about 110 people, a store, school, and church. A narrow gauge railroad transported logs from Lindsey Springs to the mill in nearby Diboll. The area's marketable timber had been cut by 1906, resulting in the camp's relocation to an area west of Diboll in Trinity County.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8708.)
 
Location. 31° 13.945′ N, 94° 41.624′ W. Marker is near Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 58 2.3 miles south of Farm to Market Road 2108, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairview School (approx. 2.1 miles away); Burke Methodist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Hoshall (approx. 4.4 miles away); Burke School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Prairie Grove (approx. 4.7 miles away); Homer Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Whitehouse Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Site of the town of Homer (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryNatural FeaturesNatural Resources
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,151 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on November 23, 2014, by Robert Martin of Diboll, TX - Texas. Photo   1. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement