Mt. Pleasant Cemetery-Dangerous Rendezvous
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway
After Quakers sold their meetinghouse to the local black community in 1849, the new owners established Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church. The original church building has since burned, but the modern day congregation still uses the cemetery.
Laws restricted blacks from meeting in groups and a group of slaves gathering in a home or in the woods might arouse suspicion. But they did gather at cemeteries---a rare respite amidst the constant oversight that prevailed in the 19th century slave societies.
One escapee testified that Harriet Tubman used a cemetery for a nighttime rendezvous away from the suspicious eyes of plantation masters and overseers. This evidence suggests that some freedom seekers took their first secretive step on the Underground Railroad surrounded by silent ancestors.
Above: In 1857, Tubman raced to the area to rescue her free parents, Ben and Rit Ross, who lived nearby. Ben was about to be arrested for helping the “Dover Eight,” a group of freedom seekers who had fled Dorchester County.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway marker series.
Location. 38° 43.236′ N, 75° 55.554′ W. Marker is in Preston, Maryland, in Caroline County. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Pleasant M. E. Church (a few steps from this marker); Site of Frazierís Chapel (approx. 1.1 miles away); Preston (approx. 1.1 miles away); Linchester Mill-Living Dangerously (approx. 2 miles away); The Underground Railroad (approx. 2 miles away); Linchester (approx. 2 miles away); Linchester Mill (approx. 2.1 miles away); Leverton House-Finding Safe Haven (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Preston.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.