Owingsville in Bath County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
March 21, 1864, Union troops fled courthouse here as CSA force came up. Overheated stove started fire, burning building. Guerillas burned many county records Dec. 4.
(Map Caption on Reverse):
-Route of Brig. Gen. Hylan B. Lyon.
-Courthouses burned on Lyon's raid.
-Other courthouses which were burned as an incident to the war.
Erected 1963 by The Kentucky Historical Society & the Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 592.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 8.65′ N, 83° 45.854′ W. Marker is in Owingsville, Kentucky, in Bath County. Marker can be reached from West Main Street (U.S. 60). Touch for map. The marker is located in back of the courthouse, on the South side, next to the parking area. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 West Main Street, Owingsville KY 40360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Capt. John “Jack” Jouett, Jr. Bath County (here, next to this marker); Sherburne Bridge (approx. 9.7 miles away); Estill's Defeat (approx. 11.2 miles away); The Gaitskill Mound (approx. 11.3 miles away); Little Mountain Indian Mound (approx. 11.3 miles away); a different marker also named Courthouse Burned (approx. 11.4 miles away); Montgomery County. 1797 (approx. 11.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Owingsville.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Twenty-two Kentucky courthouses were burned during the Civil War.
Categories. • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,634 times since then and 48 times this year. Last updated on November 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 8, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.