Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Juno in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Camp Hudson

 
 
Site of Camp Hudson Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, November 30, 2014
1. Site of Camp Hudson Marker
Inscription. Established by the United States Army, June 7, 1857, as a means of protecting the road from San Antonio to El Paso against hostile Indians. Named in honor of 2nd Lieutenant Walter W. Hudson who died April 19, 1850, of wounds received in action with Indians in Texas. Evacuated by Federal troops March 17, 1861 but reoccupied after the Civil War. Abandoned in April 1868.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4744.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 29° 57.511′ N, 101° 8.794′ W. Marker is near Juno, Texas, in Val Verde County. Marker is on State Highway 163 20.3 miles north of U.S. 90, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Comstock TX 78837, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dead Man's Pass (approx. 10.9 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is a granite 1936 Texas Centennial Marker. The top of the marker is missing the original bronze star and wreath.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Site of Camp Hudson Marker site image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, November 30, 2014
2. Site of Camp Hudson Marker site
The site of Camp (later Fort) Hudson is on private property behind the marker site.
Sketch of Camp Hudson image. Click for full size.
By Colonel Joseph K. F. Mansfielld, November 24, 1860
3. Sketch of Camp Hudson
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2014, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement