Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wayne in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Wayne Village Hall

 
 
Old Wayne Village Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., November 26, 2014
1. Old Wayne Village Hall Marker
Inscription. Since 1878 the Old Wayne Village Hall has served as the center of civic affairs in Wayne. It is one of the few surviving Second Empire style buildings in Wayne County. The first meeting of the village took place on April 20, 1869. In the following years, meetings were held in rented quarters. In 1877, when the village's population had reached 1,400, Wayne officials approved plans for a village hall and jail. James Lewis of Detroit received the building contract in January 1878. On August 19, 1878, the cornerstone was laid. The new village hall, built at a cost of $1,415, was completed on November 19, 1878. and accepted for use on January 7, 1879. In 1916 quarters for the police and fire departments were added. The building became the Wayne Historical Museum in 1969.
 
Erected 1987 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1347.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 16.86′ N, 83° 23.096′ W. Marker is in Wayne, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Town Square Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Town Square Street, Wayne MI 48184, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Old Wayne Village Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., November 26, 2014
2. Old Wayne Village Hall Marker
At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Congregational Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson's Tavern (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Norwayne Subdivision (approx. 1.7 miles away); Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital (approx. 1.9 miles away); Henry Ford's Honeymoon House (approx. 4.1 miles away); A Nankin Pioneer (approx. 4.3 miles away); Perrinsville School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Nankin Mills (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wayne.
 
Also see . . .  Wayne Historical Museum. (Submitted on December 2, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement