First Hitchcock County Seat
The community consisted of Taylorís store and J.E. Klevenís blacksmith shop and post office until 1875, when thousands of Texas cattle were brought into the four southwest Nebraska counties. Culbertson was the the only town in the region, and the ranchers made it their headquarters, many serving as county officials.
During the years of the “open range,” the ranchers spent summers on the range, but moved to Culbertson in winter, taking advantage of the schools, and social life. The railroad arrived in 1881, and thousands of homesteaders flocked into the county displacing the ranchers. During this period Culbertson became a pioneer irrigation center. In 1893, the county seat was moved to Trenton, near the center of the county.
Erected by Hitchcock Historical Society & Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 95.)
Location. 40° 13.988′ N, 100° 50.296′ W. Marker is in Culbertson, Nebraska, in Hitchcock County. Marker is on Taylor Avenue near Arizona Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 613 Taylor Avenue, Culbertson NE 69024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Massacre Canyon (approx. 6.8 miles away); Old Texas Ogallala Trail (approx. 11.1 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker is located in the Culbertson city park.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.