Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic St. Paulís Chapel

 
 
Historic St. Paulís Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 24, 2009
1. Historic St. Paulís Chapel Marker
Inscription.
Welcome to Historic St. Paulís Chapel
Established in 1766

Manhattanís Oldest Public Building in Continuous Use
-----
Witness to The Great Fire of 1776
-----
Host to George Washington on Inauguration Day
-----
Survivor of the Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001

A Parish of Trinity Church in the City of New York

 
Location. 40° 42.698′ N, 74° 0.561′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Vesey Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located on Vesey Street, at the entrance to rge churchyard, between Church Street and Broadway. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10007, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 100 Year-Old Sycamore (a few steps from this marker); New York County Lawyers Association (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell of Hope (within shouting distance of this marker); The Churchyard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Building (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Paulís and the World Trade Center
Historic St. Paulís Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, September 10, 2011
2. Historic St. Paulís Chapel Marker
This photo of the marker shows ribbons that were placed for the tenth anniversary of the attack.
(within shouting distance of this marker); George Frederick Cooke (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fence (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Waddington, NY, 1818, was modeled after this church.
 
Also see . . .  St. Paulís website. (Submitted on June 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Paulís Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 24, 2009
3. St. Paulís Chapel
The marker is located on the fence seen here at the north entrance to the churchyard.
Historic St. Paulís Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 24, 2009
4. Historic St. Paulís Chapel
During the British occupation of Manhattan during the Revolutionary War, a fire burned down most of lower Manhattan. St. Paul's, being farther north, was not damaged.
On 9/11/2001 the World Trade Center, located adjacent to the churchyard, rained down debris on the church. Again, St. Paul's avoided destruction.
George Washingtonís Pew image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 24, 2009
5. George Washingtonís Pew
President George Washington sat here while attending services at St. Paul's until the capital was moved to Philadelphia.
Pew of Gov. George Clinton image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 24, 2009
6. Pew of Gov. George Clinton
George Clinton, New York's first governor, used this pew when attending St. Paul's. This pew was used to store supplies during the volunteer ministry following September 11, 2001.
Gen. Montgomery Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 24, 2009
7. Gen. Montgomery Monument
This monument, located at the entrance to the church, honors Gen. Richard Montgomery who fell at the attack of Quebec on December 31, 1775.
Pierre LíEnfant Altarpiece image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 24, 2009
8. Pierre LíEnfant Altarpiece
The altar inside St. Paul's was designed by French veteran of the American Revolution, Pierre LíEnfant, who designed Washington, D.C.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,072 times since then and 272 times this year. Last updated on December 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos:   1. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   2. submitted on September 19, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3. submitted on June 15, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on June 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement