Champion Water-Powered Mill
The construction of flour mills reflected Chase County’s transition from ranching to farming. Dominated by ranching in its early years, the county saw a heavy influx of farmers after 1885. The construction of mills symbolized the new dominance of farming.
Chase County was formally organized in 1886. Imperial remained the county seat through three elections, although Champion sought support because of its advantageous location on the Frenchman River.
Chase County was named for Champion S. Chase, Nebraska’s first Attorney-General. Originally known as Hamilton, the town of Champion was renamed in honor of the same Champion S. Chase in 1887.
Erected by Chase County Historical Society & Historic Land Mark Council. (Marker Number 43.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 28.244′
More about this marker. The Champion Water-powered Mill is located near the Mill Pond in the Champion State Recreational Area.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 528 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 4, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.