Near Bridgeport in Morrill County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Courthouse and Jail Rocks
Hundreds of overland emigrants mentioned Courthouse Rock in their diaries. Often called a “castle” or “solitary tower.” the name Courthouse was first used in 1837. One 1845 traveler described the rock as “resembling the ruins of an old castle (which) rises abruptly from the plain… It is difficult to look upon it and not believe that art has something to do with its construction. The voyagers have called it the Courthouse; but it looks infinitely more like the Capitol.”
Courthouse and Jail Rocks, rising some 400 feet above the North Platte Valley, are erosional remnants composed of clay, sandstone, and volcanic ash. The rocks are listed in the National Register of Historic Places and in the Nebraska Natural Areas Register.
Erected by Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 371.)
Marker series. This marker is Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 36.033′ N, 103° 5.928′ W. Marker is near Bridgeport, Nebraska, in Morrill County. Marker is on State Highway 88 near Road 81, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bridgeport NE 69336, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oregon Trail (approx. 3.8 miles away); Guiding Landmarks (approx. 5 miles away); Bridgeport, Nebraska (approx. 5 miles away); Mormon Pioneer Camp (approx. 5˝ miles away); Camp Clarke Bridge and Sidney-Black Hills Trail (approx. 6 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker is .3 mile north of Seybolt Park
Also see . . . Courthouse & Jail Rocks - National Park Service. " ...Occupying a perfectly level site in an open prairie, it stands as the proud palace of Solitude, amid here boundless domains. Its position commands a view of the country for forty miles around and meets the eye of the traveler for several successive days, in journeying up the Platte." (Submitted on December 5, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 281 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 5, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.