Sterling Heights in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Constructed in 1866-67, the William Upton House is one of the oldest surviving nineteenth-century brick dwellings in Sterling Heights. Italianate in style, the house features a reconstructed open porch topped by a second story balustrade, a cupola, period chimneys and refurbished window units. According to oral tradition, the interior building materials were imported from England. Most farmsteads of this era were constructed of wood; the brick used on this one demonstrates the affluence of its builder. By 1891 the Upton farm consisted of 138 acres. Upton farmed this land and sold fish from the Clinton River. When the exterior restoration of the house was done in 1981-82, the interior was adapted for use as public offices.
William Upton, a wealthy farmer and merchant, built this stately Italianate house in 1866-67. Born in 1835 in Leicestershire, England, Upton came to this country with his parents in the fall of 1841. The family lived in Detroit for several years before settling in Sterling Township in 1845. In 1861, William married Sarah Jeanette Aldrich. he built this house on his farm, where he, his wife and their children lived until 1891, when they moved to Utica. There, Upton purchased a three-story business block from which he sold Shropshire sheep and ran a successful mercantile
Erected 1985 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1127.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 35.5′ N, 83° 0.699′ W. Marker is in Sterling Heights, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is at the intersection of Utica Road and Dodge Park Road, on the right when traveling south on Utica Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40433 Utica Road, Sterling Heights MI 48313, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Holcombe Beach (approx. 1.6 miles away); Moravian Road (approx. 4.1 miles away); Red Run (approx. 4.6 miles away); Murthum-Vander Vlucht House (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Red Run (approx. 4.7 miles away); Red Run Creek (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Red Run Creek (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Claeys House (approx. 4.8 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 5, 2014, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.