Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Imlaystown in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Parsonage and Baptist Ministry

 
 
Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Parsonage and Baptist Ministry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
1. Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Parsonage and Baptist Ministry Marker
Inscription. This parsonage provided a home for the Baptist ministers at Upper Freehold. It was built in several stages with the oldest section (c.1740), now its center, containing one room on the first floor with an open-hearth fireplace and a beamed ceiling. The second floor, accessed by a staircase on the eastern wall, also had one room and a fireplace. Adjacent sections were probably built in the early 1800s. The Meeting House was served by traveling ministers until the church was formally organized in 1766. Long sermons were in fashion, since members of the congregation often traveled great distances and wanted plenty of substance in their church services. David Jones became the first resident minister of the church and served until 1775. During the Revolution, he became known as the”fighting parson” while serving as a chaplain in the Continental Army. He gained fame for his sermon”Defensive War in a Just Cause—Sinless”.

Early American ministers often supported themselves by farming during the week and preaching on Sunday. A small barn once stood just beyond the tree line to the west of the parsonage. The parsonage now serves as a private residence.

(Inscription under the drawing in the center)
The renovation of the Parsonage was completed in 1985 by The Friends of the Old Yellow Meeting House.
 
Erected

Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Parsonage and Baptist Ministry image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 28, 2014
2. Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Parsonage and Baptist Ministry
2002.
 
Location. 40° 10.2′ N, 74° 28.434′ W. Marker is in Imlaystown, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Yellow Meeting House Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cream Ridge NJ 08514, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Cemetery and Grounds (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ye Olde Robbins Burial Place (approx. 1.4 miles away); Borough of Roosevelt (approx. 3.3 miles away); Historic Walnford Park (approx. 5 miles away); Historic Walnford (approx. 5.1 miles away); Walnford’s Tenant Houses (approx. 5.1 miles away); U.S. Army Parachute Test Platoon (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Imlaystown.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement