Near Mt. Pleasant in Gadsden County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Joshua Davis House
In the 1820's, settlers from Georgia, South Carolina and other states came to the new United States Territory of Florida in search of land to homestead. One such frontiersman was Thomas Dawsey, who by 1824 was residing in the Gadsden County area. In 1827 Dawsey purchased the 160 acres upon which this house stands from the United States Public Land Office, a common practice for homesteaders. Another pioneer in the region was Joshua Davis, who brought his family from Laurens County, South Carolina to a farm two miles west of Quincy ca. 1828. He soon moved to the North Mosquito Creek community located about a mile northeast of this site. Between 1830 and 1849, Joshua Davis acquired the Dawsey property and moved with his wife and five children into what would be their permanent home. By 1830, a road had been built through this area from Quincy to the Apalachicola River crossing at Chattahoochee. Stage-coaches carrying mail and passengers through this fertile and well-populated farming region traveled over what was known as "the upper road." Some evidence suggests the Joshua Davis House served as a stage-coach stop and perhaps as a horse-changing station.
Erected 1975 by David. A. Avant, Jr. and George Davis Avant in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-244.)
Location. 30° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: U.S. 90, Quincy FL 32352, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Recovery (approx. 4.6 miles away in Georgia); Fort Scott (approx. 5.6 miles away in Georgia); Old Gretna School House (approx. 6.3 miles away); Ira Sanborn (approx. 6.5 miles away in Georgia); Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 6.6 miles away); United States Arsenal (1832-1861) (approx. 6.7 miles away); a different marker also named Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 7 miles away); Site of Ellicott's Observatory (approx. 7.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Although reported to the Division of Historical Resources last year the marker is still not viewable to the general public. Some visitors have been granted access by the Avant family.
Also see . . . History of house. (Submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 27, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 7, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.