Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsport in Warren County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Williamsport - Warren County

Courthouse

 
 
Willaimsport - Warren County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2008
1. Willaimsport - Warren County Marker
Inscription. Williamsport, Warren County Seat, was home, 1879 - 1896, of James Frank Hanly, Governor of Indiana, 1905 - 1909. The courthouse, built 1907, was designed by J. W. Royer, Urbana, Illinois. Warren County was established 1827.
 
Erected 1992 by Indiana Historical Bureau. (Marker Number 86.1992.1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
 
Location. 40° 17.282′ N, 87° 17.641′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Indiana, in Warren County. Marker is on East Second Street (State Road 28) east of North Monroe Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 N Monroe St, Williamsport IN 47993, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warren County Patriots (a few steps from this marker); Trail of Death (approx. 0.8 miles away); In Memory of Heroes 1861 - 1865 (approx. 2.2 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away); Attica & Covington Canal Skirmish (approx. 2.2 miles away); In Memory of
Warren County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2008
2. Warren County Courthouse
Photo from East Second Street Side of building. The marker is to the right of the flag pole.
(approx. 2.2 miles away); Italianate Style House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Attica’s Carnegie Library (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
 
Additional comments.
1. Williamsport Falls
Located in downtown Williamsport, Indiana is Indiana's highest free falling water falls at 90 feet.
    — Submitted December 1, 2009, by Dale L. White of Williamsport, Indiana.

 
Categories. 20th CenturyGovernmentPolitics
 
Cannon: on Corner of Second St and Monroe Street. image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2008
3. Cannon: on Corner of Second St and Monroe Street.
Williamsport - Warren County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Monte Johnson, July 1992
4. Williamsport - Warren County Marker
Indiana's Highest Free Falling Water Falls
Cannon: Guarding Down Town Williamsport image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2008
5. Cannon: Guarding Down Town Williamsport
Overlooking North Monroe Street business district.
Time Check - across 2nd Street image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2008
6. Time Check - across 2nd Street
Public Library & Learning Center - Built 2007 image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, May 25, 2008
7. Public Library & Learning Center - Built 2007
Across Second Street. Excellent friendly help with Library needs.
Front View - - Second Street Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
8. Front View - - Second Street Cannon
This and the other gun at the site are Model 1841 6-pdr Field Guns. This type came into service just before the Mexican War, and saw service into the Civil War.
Muzzle View - - Second Street Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
9. Muzzle View - - Second Street Cannon
The muzzle markings visible are "J.W.R." and "259" indicating the gun was inspected by James Wolfe Ripley, and is registry number 259. That matches to a weapon cast by Ames Manufacturing, Boston, Mass. in 1846. It weighed 879 pounds when accepted for service.
Rear View - - Second Street Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
10. Rear View - - Second Street Cannon
The Model 1841 6-pdr was a very efficient weapon when introduced. In the Mexican War, the American guns, often lighter than their Mexican counterparts, were handier in action and thus gave the American artillerists an advantage.
Front View - - Monroe Street Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
11. Front View - - Monroe Street Cannon
By the time of the American Civil War, the 6-pdr caliber was outranged by both larger smoothbores and rifled guns then entering service. Furthermore, the 12-pdr guns replacing it fired twice the projectile weight. As such, most 6-pdrs were relegated to ancillary duties away from the main armies by 1863.
Muzzle View - - Monroe Street Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
12. Muzzle View - - Monroe Street Cannon
This gun bears the marks "JB" and "100." Such matches to a weapon cast by the Miles Greenwood foundry (often called the Eagle Foundry) in Cincinnati, Ohio. It weighed 873 pounds when inspected by a yet unidentified officer (initials J.B.). It was cast in 1862, long after the type had fell into disfavor. But was readily accepted by the Western states to arm their artillery batteries pending issues of newer guns.
Left Side of Monroe Street Entrance to Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
13. Left Side of Monroe Street Entrance to Courthouse
Monroe Street View of Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
14. Monroe Street View of Courthouse
Right Side Deocration - Monroe Street Entrance to Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf
15. Right Side Deocration - Monroe Street Entrance to Courthouse
Second Street Entrance to Courthouse (2009) image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, June 27, 2009
16. Second Street Entrance to Courthouse (2009)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,222 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.   4. submitted on December 1, 2009, by Dale L. White of Williamsport, Indiana.   5, 6, 7. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.   8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on June 28, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement