Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent

 
 
Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
1. Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent Marker
Inscription. Built in the town of Lloyd in 1890, this Episcopal chapel was dedicated as St. Clement's Church on June 14, 1895, by Edwin Gardner Weed, 3rd Bishop of Florida. William Betton of Tallahassee designed and built the structure at a cost of $3,500. The furnishings are the original ones, including the pine pews and reed organ. The Bishop's Chair, oldest in Florida, dates from 1838 and is the only one in existence that the first five Bishops of Florida all used. The chapel was moved to this site and rededicated on November 29, 1959, by Edward Hamilton West, 5th Bishop of Florida.
 
Erected 1969 by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials in cooperation with The Church of the Advent . (Marker Number F-173.)
 
Location. 30° 29.303′ N, 84° 15.986′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is on Piedmont Drive 0.2 miles north of Middlebrooks Circle, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 Piedmont Drive, Tallahassee FL 32312, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Plantation Cemetery At Betton Hill (approx. 1.6 miles away); Woman's Club of Tallahassee (approx.
Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
2. Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent
2.1 miles away); Goodwood Mansion (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lafayette Township Grant (approx. 2.2 miles away); Goodwood (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lafayette Township Grant (approx. 2 miles away); The Tallahassee Democrat (approx. 2.9 miles away); Governor William Dunnington Bloxham House 1844 / Governor Bloxham House (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry on Chapel. (Submitted on December 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
3. Saint Clement's Chapel ~ Church of The Advent & Marker
Looking North from marker on Piedmont Drive image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
4. Looking North from marker on Piedmont Drive
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 8, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement