Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Tallahassee Democrat
Florida´s capital has never been without an alert, vigorous press. Tallahassee´s first newspaper, the Florida Intelligencer, was founded on February 19, 1825, nine months before the city was incorporated. The Tallahassee Democrat traces its ancestry to March 3, 1905, when John G. Collins founded his Weekly True Democrat. He explained the name showed dedication to "true and tried doctrines of the Old Time Democracy...as distinguished from...mischievous...fads and fallacies of the day." Collins sold the
newspaper to Milton A. Smith in 1908. On April 6, 1915, Smith changed its name to the Daily Democrat. Lloyd C. Griscom became owner in 1929, and Knight Newspapers, Inc., purchased it on March 1, 1965. The structure you see is the newspaper's third plant, opened in May, 1968. Earlier plants were located at 115 S. Adams and 100 E. Call St.
Erected 1982 by the Tallahassee Democrat in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-298.)
Location. 30° 26.769′ N, 84° 15.701′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 277 North Magnolia Drive, Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leon High School (approx. 0.8 miles away); De Soto Winter Encampment Site 1539~1540 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Governor John W. Martin House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Goodwood (approx. 0.8 miles away); Goodwood Mansion (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lafayette Township Grant (approx. one mile away); John Gilmore Riley House (approx. one mile away); Governor William Dunnington Bloxham House 1844 / Governor Bloxham House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
Also see . . . Tallahassee Democrat Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Communications •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.