Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971)

 
 
The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
1. The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971) Marker
Inscription. The first healthcare facility in Florida for African-Americans was the Florida A&M College (FAMC) Hospital, known as the Florida A&M University (FAMU) Hospital after 1953. The school's original two-story, 19-bed wooden sanitarium was built in 1911 (since demolished), and provided medical care to patients of all races living in Leon and surrounding counties. It was supervised by Jennie Virginia Hilyer, RN, a graduate of Freedmen's Hospital in Washington, D.C., later renamed Howard University Hospital. In 1926, Leonard H.B. Foote, MD, a graduate of Howard University Medical School of Nursing in 1936, the first baccalaureate nursing program in Florida. He led a 10-year campaign to construct a new modern brick hospital, which opened in 1950. As a major medical center, the hospital provided clinical training for students and opportunities for research. After the withdrawal of federal and state support, the doors of the historic hospital closed on December 12, 1971. Today, the hospital's legacy continues through Florida A&M University's School of Nursing, College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and School of Allied Health Sciences.
A Florida Heritage Landmark

 
Erected 2013 by The Florida A&M University, the Meek-Eaton Black Archives and Museum and the
Foote-Hilyer Administration Center image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
2. Foote-Hilyer Administration Center
Named both after the first hospital supervisor and also the first administrator.
Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-769.)
 
Location. 30° 25.548′ N, 84° 16.991′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker can be reached from Lee Hall Drive 0.1 miles west of Hudson Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 Lee Hall Drive, Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Florida A&M University (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971) (about 600 feet away); Wilhelmina Jakes And Carrie Patterson: Initiators of The Tallahassee Bus Boycott (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Florida A&M University (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chandler's Tourist Camp (approx. half a mile away); Jacksonville, Pensacola and Mobile Railroad Company Freight Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Capt. John Parkhill (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Union Bank of Florida (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
More about this marker. Although marker appears slightly different to marker 79623, it is only due to spacing of the wording.
 
Related marker.
Foote-Hilyer Admin Center entrance image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
3. Foote-Hilyer Admin Center entrance
Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker is actually located at the Foote Hilyer Administration facility.
 
Categories. African AmericansLandmarksScience & Medicine
 
Building dedication plaque. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
4. Building dedication plaque.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement