Near Fort Washington in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
On September 8, 1814, only 12 days after the destruction of Fort Warburton, Pierre L'Enfant was commissioned by the Government to reestablish a fortification here. Work began that October but increasing friction between L'Enfant and the Government caused suspension of the project in July 1815. Shortly thereafter, L'Enfant was replaced by Lt. Col. Walker K. Armistead. Completed in October 1824, at a cost of $426,000, this structure stood as the only permanent fortification protecting Washington through 1872.
Arming the Fort
Brick platforms for artillery carriages were constructed in the 1840s and thirty 24-pounder guns were sent to the fort. With an effective range of 1901 yards, guns of this size could effectively control the river passage in front of the fort. In 1861 additional 24- and 32-pounder guns were sent to strengthen the armament of the fort.
Location. 38° 42.739′ N, 77° 1.977′ W. Marker is near Fort Washington, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Fort Washington Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in Fort Washington Park, just outside the visitors center / museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13551 Fort Washington Road, Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Capital Guardian (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Capital Guardian (here, next to this marker); Battery Decatur and Disappearing Guns (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Washington Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main Gateway (about 400 feet away); The Northwest Demi-Bastion (about 400 feet away); The Water Battery (about 700 feet away); Caponiere (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washington.
More about this marker. On the left is a drawing of an artillerist in a pre-Civil War regular army uniform. On the right is a map showing the location of Fort Washington, with the range of the 24-pounder guns indicated by a circle. On the lower right is a drawing which shows a 24-pounder seacoast gun being served by a crew of five.
Also see . . . Fort Washington. National Park Service site. (The site is undergoing some modification and some content is off line at this time.) (Submitted on May 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Military •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,075 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 27, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 10, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.