New London in Kandiyohi County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Federal Fish Hatchery
1938 A thorough study of a hundred acre location was carried out by the U.S. Commission of Surveys. Dam and mill site were purchased for $14,000. Land for fish ponds extended a mile downstream. Citizens contributed $1,300, and some easements were donated.
1939 The New London Mill was dismantled making room for hatchery buildings. A W.P.A. transient camp for 140 workmen was built on the land for future hatchery residences.
1940 Herbert Toppel was appointed foreman; A.M. McIntire became superintendent of construction. Temporary office was in the Farmers' Store. "New London was a beehive of activity." As massive earth-moving was begun on ponds and dikes. Leslie Bennett, a fish culturist, became hatchery superintendent. The Hatchery was constructed by WPA workers.
1941 By the middle of April the hatchery was in operation with 10,000,000 northern pike eggs incubating the first week. All eight ponds were used the first year for walleyed pike, largemouth bass, crappies and bluegill sunfish. A good will banquet was held for 125 people, some distinguished like Henrik Shipstead, U.S. Senator, once a native of the town. It was mainly in appreciation for all who had given generously of time and money. The brick office on the street level was ready for occupation. Later,
1942 For the first time in history, 30,000 northern pike were raised to fingerling size and planted in Minnesota lakes.
1945 With the end of World War II, the local lzaak Walton League campaigned to complete the hatchery as planned and promised.
1949 It was proved for the first time to doubters that fish could be raised in water from the Mill Pond.
1950 Federal funds of $150,000 were appropriated for construction of ten more ponds and another employee residence.
1954 Production figures were 2,300,000 fingerlings of assorted game fish and about 15,000,000 were hatched.
1966 Federal funding of $121,000 was approved by the U.S. Senate.
1968 A new building near the ponds opened for additional hatching and lab facilities.
1979 A two-third mile pipeline from a well near pond eight was to be laid and a well house built.
1982 There was a rumor that a hatchery would close due to lack of federal funding.
1996 Ownership of the hatchery and land was conferred by an act of congress, from the USFWS to the Minnesota DNR.
2004 The wooden part of the hatchery building, below street level, was demolished.
2006 Brick office and aquarium building razed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 45° 18.022′ N, 94° 56.648′ W. Marker is in New London, Minnesota, in Kandiyohi County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street South (State Highway 9) and 1st Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling south on Main Street South. Touch for map. The Federal Fish Hatchery monument is the northernmost monument of five granite monuments located at New London Memorial Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 60 Main Street South, New London MN 56273, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert lhlang Post 537, The American Legion (here, next to this marker); Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Early History of New London (here, next to this marker); Origin Of Crow River Dam and Mills (a few steps from this marker); Lundborg-Broberg State Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); The West Lake Massacre (approx. ¼ mile away); This Historical Inclosure (approx. ¼ mile away); Little Crow's Camp (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New London.
Regarding Federal Fish Hatchery. The New London Milling Company, at this location, was demolished when the Federal Government acquired the mill, dam and the water rights to begin a fish hatchery. Decades later, the hatchery building and the original office located here were demolished. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources currently manages the fish rearing ponds of the New London Fish Hatchery, 1 Oak Street Northwest, approximately 0.2 miles west of this park.
Also see . . .
1. New London Memorial Park. City of New London, Minnesota. (Submitted on December 14, 2014.)
2. Conveyance of the New London National Fish Hatchery to the State of Minnesota. House Report 104-36. February 15, 1995. (Submitted on December 14, 2014.)
3. Conveyance of the New London National Fish Hatchery to the State of Minnesota. House Report 104-132. July 10, 1995. (Submitted on December 14, 2014.)
4. NL fish hatchery hatches out up to 70 million fry. Lakes Area Review. (Submitted on December 14, 2014.)
5. Hatchery Fact Sheet - New London. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. (Submitted on December 14, 2014.)
6. Fisheries Management & Hatchery Tour Primer. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. (Submitted on December 14, 2014.)
Additional keywords. New London National Fish Hatchery; New London State Fish Hatchery; Works Progress Administration; United States Fish and Wildlife Service; Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
Categories. • Animals • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 14, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 14, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.