Niagara Falls in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
Toronto Power Generating Station
La centrale Électrique de la Toronto Power
Inaugurée en 1906 pour servir la région de Toronto, cette centrale fut la première installation hydroélectrique construite à Niagara Falls apparent à un lieu difficile, les ingénieurs y adaptèrent avec audace des techniques européennes et américaines d’avant-garde. La magnifique usine, conçue par l’éminent architecte torontois E. J. Lennox, cadre avec la beauté des lieux. Avec son plan symétrique, ses colonnes et son revêtement de pierre calcaire, elle offre un exemple original d’un bâtiment industriel de style Beaux-Arts. Achetée par la société Ontario Hydro en 1922, la centrale servit jusqu’en 1974.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada • Commission de lieux et monuments historique
Location. 43° 4.322′ N, 79° 4.452′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is at the intersection of Niagara Parkway, on the right when traveling north on Niagara Parkway. Touch for map. It is just south of the Floral Showhouse and south of Table Rock Welcome Center. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burch’s Mill (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Niagara Park Greenhouses (about 210 meters away); Stranded Scow (about 240 meters away); Bridgewater Mills (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); José María Heredia (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Nik Wallenda & Niagara (approx. 0.8 kilometers away in the U.S.); Tightrope Walker Nik Wallenda (approx. 0.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
Regarding Toronto Power Generating Station. The turbines at this station were designed for 25 Hz AC power and that is what they supplied from 1906 until 1974. Known as low-frequency alternating current, it is still used in industrial applications and for railway electrification.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry. “The plant is built on top of a deep wheel pit, with turbines at the bottom of the pit, turning generators at the top by means of long vertical shafts. The water from the turbines runs out through a brick lined tailrace which eventually comes out at the base of the falls. In its prime, it had a generating capacity of 137,500 horsepower or 102,500 kW.” (Submitted on December 19, 2014.)
2. Entry at InvisibleThreads.com. Photos of the interior of this building. “By far the most beautiful abandoned building I've visited was this one. Unlike other large industrial buildings, this was no large homogeneous box. This had a sense of design — an architectural vision.” (Submitted on December 19, 2014.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on December 19, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.