“Mud” Street and “Underground Eureka”
Professor KALKLOSCH’s Guidebook, published in 1880, states: “The first street of the town was surveyed down the gulch below the spring. A broad avenue connects this street with the famous EUREKA BASIN SPRING. It being the first street it was named MAIN STREET. Owing to its low elevation and the law of gravitation, water would find a level in the street and as immense travel created an abundance of mud, the street was nicknamed “MUD,” a name without music or elegance.”
Dozens of wooden structures lined MAIN STREET along a small creek which collected runoff from the springs. Great fires in 1883 and 1888 destroyed most of the early buildings. Owners rapidly rebuilt more substantial commercial blocks of limestone and brick but set at the same level along the creek and narrow street.
In 1890 major street improvements were undertaken. Limestone walls were built, filled in and smoothed to provide a wider surface for MAIN and SPRING STREETS, often raising the new throughfares up to the second story level in front of many fine business houses whose ground floor doors and windows then faced the new retaining walls a few feet away.
Thus, a series of buildings along MAIN and the downhill side of SPRING STREET turned ground floors into basements, connected by narrow passageways that once were storefronts. Most
Erected by the Eureka Springs Preservation Society and the Community Development Partnership.
Location. 36° 24.083′ N, 93° 44.27′ W. Marker is in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in Carroll County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 23) and Spring Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 South Main Street, Eureka Springs AR 72632, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chandler Mall Buildings (here, next to this marker); Civil War Healing (within shouting distance of this marker); The Basin Bath House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Southern Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Basin Park Sycamore (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish-American and World War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Civic Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Springs (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka Springs.
Also see . . .
1. Eureka Springs History. (Submitted on December 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Eureka Springs Preservation Society, Inc. (Submitted on December 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Environment • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 345 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on December 18, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.