Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
—War of 1812 —
Ship to Shore-The Ridgely house was part of an intricate early warning system that included schooners and gunboats, shore stations, and horse relays. The station communicated with flags by day and lanterns by night.
“(The Ridgely house is) a very large Brick one, with a steeple like lookout place on top, from whence there is a most perfect view…so that it would be next to an impossibility that any vessel or river boat could approach or pass with being observed.”
Major William B. Barney to Brig. Gen. John Stricker, March 23, 1813.
(Inscription beside the painting of the house)
1931 painting of the Ridgley house. Image/From Old Baltimore, 1931.
(Inscription beside the sketch on the right)
Examples of some 38 different signal flags used by a network of water and shore stations.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department
Location. 39° 12.498′ N, 76° 25.566′ W. Marker is in Sparrows Point, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker is on Old Bay Shore Road. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of North Point State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Sparrows Point MD 21219, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rebirth of a Maryland Historical Treasure (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); About This Fountain... (about 600 feet away); Hard Travel (about 700 feet away); John Smith Explores the Chesapeake (about 700 feet away); The Trolley Station at Bayshore Park (about 700 feet away); Wetlands (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Presbytery of Baltimore (approx. 0.7 miles away); Todd’s Inheritance (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sparrows Point.
Categories. • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 215 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.