Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Niagara Falls in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Burch’s Mill

 
 
Burch’s Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 15, 2014
1. Burch’s Mill Marker
Inscription. In 1786 John Burch, a United Empire loyalist, constructed a water-powered grist and sawmill on this site. He was the first to use the waters on the west bank of the Niagara River for industrial purposes. The mills were burned by the retreating American Army on July 26, 1814, after the Battle of Lundy’s Lane.
 
Erected by The Niagara Parks Commission.
 
Location. 43° 4.268′ N, 79° 4.367′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is on Niagara Parkway just north of Dufferin Isle Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. It is on the Niagara River Recreation Trail just south of the abandoned Toronto Power plant. Marker is in this post office area: Niagara Falls, Ontario L2G, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stranded Scow (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Toronto Power Generating Station (about 150 meters away); Niagara Park Greenhouses (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Bridgewater Mills (approx. half a kilometer away); Nik Wallenda & Niagara (approx. one kilometer away in the U.S.); Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse
Burch’s Mill Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 15, 2014
2. Burch’s Mill Marker
(approx. one kilometer away); José María Heredia (approx. one kilometer away); Tightrope Walker Nik Wallenda (approx. 1.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. It is about the Battle of Lundy’s Lane.
 
Also see . . .  Entry in Dictionary of Canadian Biography for Burch, John. “In 1783, at the end of the war, he and his wife settled on land on the west bank of the Niagara River. Burch received several lots in what became Stamford Township and established his home at the mouth of Chippawa Creek. A few miles to the north, beside the Niagara rapids, he constructed a grist- and sawmill in 1785–86. Its workmanship and the ingenious log flume were admired by travellers of the period.” (Submitted on December 20, 2014.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar of 1812Waterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement