Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
William Trent House (NHL)
Crossroads of the American Revolution National Heritage Area
William Trent, a wealthy Philadelphia merchant (later Chief Justice of New Jersey) built this country manor house circa 1719, at the highest navigable point of the Delaware River. An important Hessian guard post was sited on the grounds the morning of the Battle of Trenton. The French army under General Rochambeau camped on the grounds September 1-2, 1781, on the march to Yorktown, Virginia, and September 4-8, 1782, on its return. The house is furnished according to the inventory taken after Trentís Christmas Day 1724 death, while the exhibit in an outbuilding includes later house history, particularly its role in the Revolution.
Erected by Crossroads of the American Revolution National Heritage Area.
Location. 40° 12.776′ N, 74° 45.969′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker can be reached from Wm Trent, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the visitor center at the Trent House. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08611, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trent House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Trent House (within shouting distance of William Trent House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named William Trent House (within shouting distance of this marker); Trenton Ferry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mercer County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Church of the Sacred Heart (approx. 0.3 miles away); House of Alexander Douglass (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. A picture of the William Trent House appears on the left side of the marker. The right side contains a map indicating the locations of other sites included in the Crossroads of the American Revolution Nation Historic Area. These include the Old Barracks Museum, Friends Meeting House, St. Michaelís Episcopal Church and First Presbyterian Church.
Also see . . . William Trent House Museum. (Submitted on December 27, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 315 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 27, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.